Sunday, March 13, 2011

Where I'm At

I remember it very clearly. The day my brother sat me down and hashed out my school loan bills. I laid on the floor and cried... hopeless.

Fast forward ~ 2 yrs, I'm happily married/no longer have a roommate paying the other half of the bills (love ya babe- I know... I know... seminary doesn't really accommodate that), in the midst of paying off loans. And I am content.

What has happened to that young, hopeless, hard-working 'buck' crying on her brother's floor?

1. Financial Peace University -
It's taught us the importance of coming up with a budget TOGETHER, making short-term/doable goals, and running with gazelle-like intensity at paying off our loans, setting up an emergency fund, etc... There is finally LIGHT at the end of the tunnel...

2. Moneysavingmom.com

This website has changed my spending life!! I was proud before to find a 50 cent coupon on something, now I'm learning that shopping at CVS, Walgreens and Publix and combining store deals with coupons reallly pays off!

Year-to-date spending at CVS ($95)
Year-to-date saving at CVS ($122) feels good!:)

Check out the 'Store Deals' for weekly deals.

3. E-mealz
For $5/mo. you can choose the store you mainly shop at, and receive a 5/day meal plan/directions/shopping list based on that store's weekly deals!!

4. Setting priorities

Becoming debt-free is important. Living life to the fullest with my hubby (during his study breaks) while we are young is important. It's learning to balance. Taking advantage of Florida's sunshine provides optimum/free dates.
- Cancelling cable/ washing our own cars/ carpooling / eating in more/ drying clothes on a drying rack/ saying 'no' to that super cute dress (OK I don't always do this;) These things are really paying off.

Just wanted to share... 'to GOD be the glory, great things HE has done!!'

2 comments:

  1. Love this, Beth! Do you really dry clothes on a drying rack to save money? That's one I wouldn't have thought of. I dry certain things on hangers, but definitely not everything....

    Long live CVS, though! It's fabulous!

    You should update this more often... I love knowing about your life. Miss you, girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These suggestions are great! I've always wondered about e-mealz -- I feel like I am so terrible at planning meals in a cost-efficient way. So often, I feel like my cooking at home becomes even more expensive than my eating out! I'm glad to see that you've recommended them -- I might have to try them out.

    ReplyDelete